Friday 24 September 2010

When bunnies attack - The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog*

You have no idea how good it feels to be camping tonight. I'm at Cannon Beach, Oregon, and camping has just become fun again. OK it gets dark at 7:30 which is a bit early but for the first time on this whole tip – in over TWO MONTHS I can camp safe in the knowledge that there aren't any bears around. In fact, as if to rub it in this particular campground has an infestation of cute little white bunny rabbits hopping all over the place.
Now don't get me wrong. I wasn't actually afraid that I was going to be eaten alive by bears every night, it was just the fact that you had to go to such lengths to be careful; locking food away in boxes, or up trees, not having ANYTHING that mights smell interesting in the tent, cooking away from the tent. Honestly its a real palaver. I'm sure all you Canadians are reading this and laughing at me but you haven't experienced bear free camping – its so nice. And the rest of you who are tutting that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, I just say - you go two months camping like this, having to be careful about everything and then tell me I'm overreacting.
I had a fantastic time in Alaska/Canada and am so pleased I went, but now I'm enjoying the easy life. Tonight I'm camping with bunnies, and I don't have to pack everything away in a box up a tree. I don't even know where my pepper spray is and I don't care!

* The white bunnies remind me of the killer rabbit in Monthy Python and the Holy Grail.

No comments:

Post a Comment