Saturday, 20 March 2010

Just waiting for a Visa

It's nearly Easter and there's nothing I can do at the moment. I have to get a Visa to go to the USA (Crazy really. I've been to over 50 countries in the world and have NEVER had to go to London for an interview to get an tourist Visa) It's all because I'll only be getting a one way ticket and may well stay longer than 90 days. So, they're worried I might stay and work in the country. Therefore, I have to arrange for an interview in eary April.

This means that I can't really do anything else (in case I don't get the visa). I'm ready to buy my flight and bike but don't want to risk doing that and then being turned down for a toursit visa. I'm sure that won't happen but I might as well wait a few weeks.

So, the plan is to get the Visa in early April (as soon as I get back from my holiday in Dubai) then I can do all the things I need to do.

Buy my ticket
Buy my bike
Buy new biking gear
Get vaccinatons for Yellow Fever and Rabies
Renew my driving license
Get an international driving license
Sort out my carnet

The planning of a trip like this can be good fun but it's also quite frustrating, and of course this is when most of the money is spent. All that cash spend and the trip hasn't even started.

Friday, 5 March 2010

Decisions decisions

I'd always said that I'd have to make decisions by the beginning of March, and I have. I handed my notice in at work about three weeks ago and I've been frantically deciding on whether to buy a motorbike here in the UK or in Alaska.

Alaska it is. I've been in touch with a motorbike tour company in Alaska and they have bikes for sale. Next week I'm going to start the process of booking my flight, Visa appointment for the USA and then I'll buy a bike. What fun. Everything else seems to be in hand at the moment. Vaccinations, Carnet, equipment, etc.. nothing to panic about at the moment. Now that I've set up a blog I'll be able to use this to keep track of how things are going.